Thursday, October 13, 2011

Timeless Blooms wallpaper backgrounds



 White Trumpet Flower 1932
Jack In Pulpit 1933
Black Iris No.2 1936
Cow's Skull With Calico Roses 1931
Yellow Hickory Leaves With Daisy 1928
Light Iris 1924
Iris 1929 (Dark Iris 2 1929)
Georgia O’Keeffe, “Blue Flower” (1918). Via NY Times.
Red Canna 1923


It seems Georgia O'Keeffe found freedom in ignoring convention, and art and life. Her desire for freedom in her life was reflected in her paintings, just as Georgia rejected the constraints of restrictive fashions.



Her word is energetic and sensual on with predominantly floral subject matter on a grad scale.



In 1916, she first drew the attention of the New York art community in 1916 and within the next 10 years she had distinguished herself as one of America's most important modern artists.



On why O'Keeffe painted flowers: "Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small - we haven't time - and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time...So I said to myself - I'll paint what I see - what the flower is to me, but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it - I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers."



She lived to the ripe old age of 98 leaving a legacy of over 900 paintings, watercolours & drawings.





Georgia O'Keeffe was driven to paint from an early age.  After we are through school," she told her classmates, "I am going to give up everything for my art. I am going to live a different kind of life from the rest of you girls."



Sources - New York Times and Wikipedia





Browse Georgia O'Keeffe on Amazon:





My Faraway One: Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz: Volume One, 1915-1933 (Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library)Georgia O'Keeffe (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists)Portrait of an Artist: A Biography of Georgia O'KeeffeGeorgia O'Keeffe, 1887-1986: Flowers in the DesertA Painter's Kitchen-Revised Edition: Recipes from the Kitchen of Georgia O'Keeffe (Red Crane Cookbook Series)One Hundred FlowersGeorgia O'KeeffeGeorgia O'Keeffe: A LifeGeorgia O'Keeffe: Abstraction (Whitney Museum of American Art)Great Women Artists: Georgia O'KeefeGeorgia O'KeeffeGeorgia in Hawaii: When Georgia O'Keeffe Painted What She PleasedGeorgia O'Keeffe [VHS]Georgia O'Keeffe: American and Modern

 
Copyright © Blog | Show